Friday, April 1, 2011

Love, Love, Love

I have been wanting for the longest time to make those rolled paper roses and form them in the shape of a heart in a picture frame to hang on my wall. The idea has been running through my head for years, well maybe not years but a really long time. So in February when I went away for the weekend for my scrapbooking retreat I made this. It was actually a challenge that we had during our weekend away. We were all given a plain white photo mat (like the ones you put in a picture frame to go around a photo) and were to make a layout using the frame. A few people cut it apart , some kept it whole, one person journalled on hers (which was stunning I might add) some covered it in paper. Every ones turned out so different and so beautiful. But as soon as I saw the photo mat I knew what I had to do. It had to have rolled paper roses in the shape of a heart in it.

First thing I did was cut out some flourishes using the Cricut and placed them in 2 corners of the mat. I than painted white over the top of them. When the paint dried I distressed the frame and used a little "Timmy Holtz" distress ink (antique linen). I was already in love...love love love! Then came the long process of cutting out the roses and rolling them. (I used the beautiful Imaginisce Garden Party Collection) That was nothing compared to forming the heart though. I moved flowers from here to there and there and back again. It took me way to long to get my flowers to even form a heart shape. To tell the truth I almost gave up and tears were very close from flowing from my eyes. You know that feeling when you have the most amazing idea in your head and you just can't figure out how to make it work. Yup that is where I was at. But just as I was about to give up...it worked. It worked and it looked amazing.
 I added some pearls randomly inside the heart filling in any blank spaces. I still felt like it was missing something so I punched out some butterfly's using my Martha Stewart butterfly bunches and placed them on the heart and along the outside of my layout. I then went to add white lines along the outside of the layout and messed up..my pen slipped off the ruler and I totally messed up. So what do you do but make random lines all over to make it look like it was done on purpose. I hated the way it looked so then I decided to journal on the white lines and wow...it looked perfect!
 I added a favorite photo of my son and I a few years ago at a family photo shoot with a little ribbon and the page it complete. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way it turned out. I'm pretty sure that this will go on my wall above my scrapbooking desk.
So the almost tears and tiny little tantrum was all worth it in the end. The page turned out beautiful and will be one I will remember for a long time. Not so sure how I feel about making another heart out of rolled paper roses any time soon to put in a frame for my wall though!

Leah

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations as you've been spied by Imaginisce and your gorgeous project is on the Imginisce blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute project, loved it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous!!!! And don't you love how a "mistake" turns into something really cool? I love the journaling over the white line. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!